Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Making a difference for Sick Kids - one smile at a time


It all started back in 2002 when I purchased something on eBay (of course, I've long since forgotten what it was!). In the seller's "About Me" page, she had written "Making a difference for sick kids, one smile at a time" along with a website link. This immediately caught my attention so I clicked the link...and spent the next couple of hours reading.

Reading stories of sick children. Children battling potentially life-threatening illnesses. Children who should be outside running around instead of being confined to a hospital bed fighting for their lives. Children who should have the right to just be children.

It broke my heart. I knew I had to do what I could to put a smile on these children's faces so I subscribed to the newsletter and became a Hugs & Hope volunteer.

Over the years (almost 8...hard to believe!), I've sent out many packages/cards and (hopefully) put a smile on many kids' faces.

I think the site is wonderful and the hearts of the volunteers, enormous.
I wanted to share this passion of mine with you, my friends out in Blogland. Maybe you will join me in putting a smile on some kids' faces? Something as simple as a "Thinking of You" card makes a difference.

In the words of Marsha, the site's founder:

Children fighting for their lives have very little to smile about. You can change that by sending them some "Happy Mail." Cheery cards give these kids a few more smiles, a little more hope, and a reason to get out of bed each day.

Experience the satisfaction of making a sick child's day and giving them something to look forward to. Send a card and a hug -- one of the smiles you create just might be your own!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, that is sooo sweet of you!! I love to hear about organizations that people help with. I try to dabble in and out of different things since I teach and I often have my class help with projects like this. Thanks for sharing this beautiful site with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing for you to do! Good for you! I used to work with the population of kids like that, and it broke my heart! Their beauty and love of life and their need to be celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful cause. As a mama, sick kiddos just break my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check out the cause. Thanks for the post. In the meantime, it was fun to come here and see your new banner! I know you were talking about a new site layout. This is a great start! It was fun to see.

    ReplyDelete